In 2012/2013 AAAF received a grant from the CBA Staff Community Fund to establish this initiative. Since then the generosity of supporters who have donated their hair and raised funds has enabled AAAF to assist 135 children (2014 inclusive). In 2014 AAAF granted 26 Wigs For Bigger Kids (University Students) over a 3 month period. Look out for other off shoots of this program as AAAF reaches out to other demographics in need of funding.
AAAF believes that whether to wear a wig or not is a personal choice. As government assistance and Medicare / Private Health Care rebates are limited and vary across states, AAAF established the Wig for Kids Program to ensure that children wanting to wear a wig get the information, service and support needed.
- The amount awarded is a total of $400.00 inclusive of GST.
- A child for the purpose of this program is a person of 17 years or under.
- To help care for the wig the amount granted can include the purchase of a wig stand, hair brush, speciality shampoos and conditioners, as well as the cost of the wig or part thereof with the cost of the wig
- AAAF can provide a list of Wig Providers in your state. A Wig Provider needs to be selected as part of this application. AAAF has the right to refuse the Wig Provider if we do not believe the Wig Provider will provide an overall positive experience and quality product for the child.
- The successful applicant will receive a voucher to present to the Wig Provider on collection of the wig. The Wig Provider will invoice AAAF directly quoting the voucher reference number.
Before deciding on a wig, find out as much information as you can from various Wig Providers. There are some useful guidelines and tips available on purchasing Wigs_2016